Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo Shrine
|Aguinaldo Shrine, Cavite|
On June 12, 1898, General Emilio Aguinaldo of the Filipino revolutionary forces declared independence from Spain on the balcony of his residence in Kawit. The house is now a National Shrine with various memorabilia dedicated to these historic events.
Located at the entrance to Manila Bay, tadpole-shaped Corregidor Island was once a fishing village with a lighthouse and signal station for all ships entering and leaving the bay.
Fort San Felipe
Dating back to 1609, this Spanish era fortress was built of granite blocks, with a wide stairway that leads up to the 30ft high rampants. Naval memorabilia, antique cannons and other artillery can be seen on the lawns.
The Historical Trail
History buffs will have a field day following the trail of historical markers around Cavite’s towns. Significant sites include the Battle of Alapan Marker, Bandomero Aguinaldo Shrine, Artemio Ricarte Marker, House of Tirona, House of Gen. Riego de Dios, the Andres Bonifacio Trial House, the 41st Division USAFFE Marker and the 11th Airborne Division Marker.
How to Get to Cavite
Travel time to Cavite from Metro Manila can be as short as half a hour; or it can take up to three hours if you are headed for more remote eco-tourism areas. From the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, the nearest town in Cavite is Bacoor, just a 30-minute drive away along the Coastal Road or via the Zapote-Baclaran Road.
The main route to Cavite is via the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX). Take the exit at Carmona, which leads to the towns of Silang, Gen. Mariano Alvarez, Dasmarinas, Maragondon, Ternate and the cities of Trece Martires and Tagaytay. The province can also be reached from Manila through Roxas Boulevard-Coastal Road going to the towns of Bacoor, Imus, Kawit, Rosario, Tanza, Naic and Noveleta. The alternate route is via the Sta. Rosa, Laguna exit on the SLEX. This exit leads to the Tagaytay City and the adjacent towns of Alfonso, Amadeo, Silang and Indang. Corregidor Island is accessible by fastcraft ferry located at the Terminal 2 within the CCP Complex in Pasay City.