Get a feel of old Spanish times as you walk around the centuries old churches of Cagayan. Among the popular sites:
The Basilica Minore of Our Lady of Piat
Located in the western part of Cagayan, it houses a statue and image of Mary which was first enshrined in Lal-lo in 1604. The image is credited with miraculous cures.
Sts. Peter and Paul Metropolitan Cathedral
The biggest Spanish built church in the Cagayan Valley Region. Its construction was completed in 1767 and suffered massive destruction in World War II but was rebuilt and is now considered as one of the most beautiful works of art in the country.
Alcala’s St. Philomene Church
Built in 1881, it is the widest church in the province measuring 30 meters wide by 90 meters long, yet is made principally of bricks.
Santa Maria bell
The oldest bell in the Far East is in Jacinto de Polonia Parish Church in Camalaniugan. Forged in the year 1595, it was brought to manila in 1973 as part of the attractions during the 33rd Eucharistic Congress.
St. Hyacinth Church
Also known as San Jacinto Chapel, it is an elevated church whose construction dates back from 1604, or more than 100 years older than St. Peter’s Cathedral. Used as American headquarters in the Filipino-American war of 1899, it was reconstructed afterwards by the Americans.
|Calvary Hills (image source)|
Located in Iguig, about 16 km from the capital city, this modern devotional, 11 hectare site of rolling hills features larger than life concrete statues in tableau settings of the 14 Stations of the Cross depicting Jesus Christ’s suffering and death on Mount Calvary.